Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Interview with Jimmy Squarejaw.





Full Name:
I’ll stick with Jimmy Squarejaw for good reason.

Do you have a nickname or what do your friends call you?
Actually people have started to call me Jimmy lately, which is hilarious. And my Dad used to call me “beeps.”
Why “beeps”? If it’s any consolation my mom used to call me “jelly bean”.
I don’t really know, maybe because I was loud or annoying, or my Dad wanted to curse when I was around?

Birthplace:
Newton, New Jersey

Current hometown:
Portland-ish, Oregon

Favorite city and why?
Spokane, it’s a very strange place that is seemingly quite normal. That or Newport, Oregon.

Birthday/Age:
31

How would you describe yourself physically?
I have a large head, that is the most discernible characteristic.

How would someone else describe you physically?
Like an out of shape Michael Shannon.

The first thing people notice about you is…
My head.

Hair Color/Eye Color/Race?
Brown and Gray, Brown, White

Sexual orientation?
Hetero

Religion, if any?
Nah.

Are you superstitious at all? Any phobias?
I feel I am superstitious against my better judgement. I hate to fly and heights in general.

Do you smoke/drink? If so, what? Any bad habits?
I used to smoke a lot, now I don’t unless I get really fucking stressed or really fucking drunk. I LOVE to drink, my favorite is Rumplemintz, Rogue Smoke Ale, then Hansel and Gretel Ginger Pilsner by Elysian, and Guinness. I don’t smoke weed and I don’t go anywhere near prescription drugs anymore. But I have done a ton of fun shit in my life chemically.

Current occupation/Dream job:
Current occupation is aspiring comic and horror writer, but my real job shall remain unknown. The dream job would be what I am aspiring to be.
What are you doing to try to reach your goal of doing your dream job?
Just pounding the pavement when I can by churning out comics, or movie reviews, or short stories. Attempting to connect with as many people online as I can to spread my work. Slow and tedious.

What do you like to do when you’re not at work?
Write, draw, watch horror movies, read, listen to music and play bass.
Where can people check out some examples of your writing and art if they were of a mind to?
I do movie reviews over at www.sundaysnuff.blogspot.com with my cohort and all my comics are up a www.yallaredead.com I also did the comic segues in the Adjust Your Tracking documentary.

What is your zombie outbreak survival plan?
Kill every single person I come in contact with and disappear to the best of my ability.
Every single person or every single zombified person?
Anyone who got in my way, unless I knew them. I wouldn’t actively seek anyone out to kill but I wouldn’t take chances and just try to get the fuck away from everything.

Weapon of choice:
Anything that can kill the living or the dead. I’m not picky.

Do you have any special skills?
I can play bass pretty well, not as good as I used to. I guess I’m a slightly better than average artist and writer.

Did you go to college and, if so, what for?
Yes I have an Associates in something and a Bachelor’s in something else that isn’t important.

Any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?
3 cats, Henry Von Hinklestein, Lucy and Chloe.

What is your favorite animal?
I literally love animals, doesn’t matter what, even sea worms and pigeons. But cats, dogs, and fish in tanks that are humane are always fun.

Speaking of pets, any pet peeves?
Idiocy, non-communication regarding trying to contact people or companies regarding comic or writing submissions. For myself it’s getting distracted from working on things or being lazy.
People not following through is the WORST! I never understood why anyone would ever say that they would do something that they won’t do. I always say what I mean and mean what I say except when I’m being ironic which is rare. Maybe people that say that they’ll do things that they won’t do are just trying to spare our feelings but I feel a lot more disappointed with someone not following through than I do when someone just flat out says that they don’t have the time or interest in doing something. For example, I sent out about fifty interview requests for this blog and the response has been decent but I was surprised at how many non-replies I received. I mean, who doesn’t want to have the chance to be interviewed to promote the things they’ve done and new projects they’re working on? Apparently the answer is, “You’d be surprised.”. Plus those people that consented to be interviewed have been kind of slow in getting back to me. Don’t get me wrong, some people got back to me the same day, which is awesome. But some people I’ve had to message to remind them and keep on it. And some of them get the first-pass back to me pretty quickly, but they’re sitting on the second-pass follow-up. So if you’re reading this and that describes you, get on it.
My biggest thing I worry about is if people are even getting what I’m sending. Like comics to newspapers or magazines. Does my email just go into a “spam” box and get deleted or is someone looking at my work just saying, “Fuck this guy.”

Favorite/Least favorite Food:
Sushi is my favorite by FAR! I hate too many foods to list, scalloped potatoes are horrible though, and so is fast food and tomato based things.
I love myself some sushi! Unagi/eel and Shrimp Tempura are my main jams but I love to throw in a Rainbow Roll or a Dragon Roll when I have the budget.
The weird thing about tomato is about half of the interviewees I’ve interviewed have cited that as their least favorite food. What the fuck is wrong with tomatoes? I love a slice of tomato in a sandwich or a section in a salad. I wouldn’t eat one right off the vine like an apple but I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

I don’t know, I just fucking hate them, they make me want to vomit sometimes just looking at them, I couldn’t explain that any better.

What is your favorite quotation/motto/saying?
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Einstein.
OR “Piss your pants!” David Hess in Last House on the Left.
I like the first one too. I usually say it, “Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting what you get.” or “A fanatic is someone who can’t change their mind and won’t change the subject.”

What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
I don’t have a definitive moment, just timeframes in my life that seem to be better than others.

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
People dying is always fucking horrible. I broke my neck once, that was bad. I herniated a disc in my back really bad, the pain and feeling of helplessness from that was fucking terrible.
Yeah, people dying is a part of life. Death is what makes life valuable. But it always sucks when someone you kind of always expected to be around is suddenly gone. At least if they die from a long-term illness you have some time to deal with it and brace yourself for the inevitable.
I totally feel you on the back pain. I had a herniated L4 & L5 vertebrae a few years back and it was awful. People that have never had problems with their back can’t sympathize with people that have back problems. Period. When I used to have a good back, I used to think my spine was invulnerable and when I saw someone bent over a walker I would always ask myself, “Why doesn’t that person just stand up and walk?”. But when my back went bad due to having to do a move by myself due to relying on a useless friend it was nightmarish. When asked to describe the sciatic pain I would say it was like someone shot a harpoon down the center of each leg and hooked it up to a car battery. All I could do was take painkillers and wallow in a full bathtub to take the pressure off. And the worst part was that since it was soft tissue damage, I wasn’t able to get any kind of assistance. No temporary disability or nothing. So I’d go to the emergency room and they would give me a week’s worth of painkillers, all the while giving me a skeptical look like I was a pill-head trying to score some drugs. Then a week later when the pills ran out I’d be back at the emergency room again. That’s why I hate pill-heads. Because they’re drug-addicted scumbags just trying to work the system to get high and stay fucked up, so people like myself that are in some legitimate pain have to deal with being looked at skeptically like some white-trash trailer-dwelling pill-head. The pills didn’t even really touch the pain. They just fogged the lens of your consciousness enough to sort of dull the experience. To be honest I think a handle of whiskey a day would have done just as well and I wouldn’t’ve had to deal with the unspoken judgment of the emergency room nurses. Unfortunately, the government doesn’t provide medicinal whiskey. Finally I had an appointment at the local free clinic and my nurse/doctor blew off the appointment so I got this African doctor who prescribed me Etodolac, an NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) that was like a jumped up version of Ibuprofen. I took it four times a day as prescribed and in a month I was back on my feet and now I only take one when my back tightens up after a bit of lifting or a day on my feet or a walk of any kind of decent distance.
Yeah all that shit is dangerous, anti-inflammatories fucking destroy your guts which also worries me. Luckily I injured my back on the job so I have had my ass covered, but it still doesn’t take away the fact that I literally have destroyed a part of my body forever. Fun.

Ever had your heart broken? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
Nope, I don’t really believe in that shit.

Ever broken someone’s heart? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
I couldn’t tell you, that’s a very vain thing to think about.

What is the best thing you’ve ever done?
I’ve written a few songs I actually enjoy and going back to read some of the comics or movie reviews I’ve done I will surprise myself how funny to me some of them are.
Where can people go to read your movie reviews?
I dabble a bit at film review also.
Want me to post your reviews on my film review blog or are you doing your own thing?
Sure if you want to link it up, check out the site and see if you dig any of it.

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?
Plenty of terrible things, plenty plenty plenty.
Yeah, but what was the worst? You can go for a top three if you have trouble picking your favorite.
In elementary school I jumped on the back of a kid’s head in gym class playing leapfrog to get back at him being a dick. He broke a ton of teeth on the floor and was bleeding everywhere. Not the worst, but the only one I care to discuss I guess.
Fair enough.

If you could kill one person, consequence free, who would it be and why?
There was a guy who used to torment me growing up. I would take great pleasure in doing unimaginable violence with my bare hands to him.

What do you do? How did you get started doing what you do? What projects are you working on?
Rolling along with comics as they come to my head. Once my fucking scanner gets fixed I am going to be doing Chick Tract style comics for Massacre Video, working on art to hopefully be a show poster for Doyle from the Misfits. I am mashing together ideas for a graphic novel that I’ve had in my head for way too long. Also piecing together parts to a short story that I’d like to turn into a full length story. I’ve been having insanely vivid dreams about this weird sci-fi storyline that I’m beginning to love as it pieces itself together. I have notebooks of ideas for projects that I’m sure I will never get entirely through.

What are you watching?
Tonight is Blade Runner: The Director’s Cut.

What are you listening to?
Right now as I write is Ulver-Childhood’s End and Messe I.X-VI.X
Oh man! Ulver is SO good! My friend Corey hooked me up with a discography and I haven’t looked back since. I’m also a big fan of Lustmord and Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. If you like Ulver and haven’t heard of those other two you might want to check them out.
I will. A buddy of mine got me turned onto black metal in 2006-ish, around when everyone was getting into black metal, and that trilogy of Ulver’s first 3 albums hooked me in. I started really looking into their entire catalog and got completely humbled by their music.

What are you reading?
Swan Song by Robert McCammon and Day of the Locust. by Nathanael West.

Favorite author/book?
I like Alan Moore a lot as a writer and Charles Burns. I don’t know if I have a favorite book, maybe Blood Meridian or Let Me In.

Favorite band/song?
Favorite band is Ween. Favorite song is the Argus by Ween or Peaches in Regalia by Zappa.....or In a Sentimental Mood by Ellington and Coltrane.

Least favorite band/song?
That is by far too big of a list.

Desert Island Music/Movies/Books: You know the deal. Five of each.
Music - Mollusk by Ween, Hot Rats by Zappa, Charlie Brown’s Holiday Hits by Vince Guaraldi, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Soup by Blind Melon.
Movies - The Burbs, Goodfellas, Natural Born Killers, Very Bad Things, & Made or Friday the 13th Part 4 Books - The Watchmen, The Black Hole by Charles Burns, Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs because I haven’t read it yet and heard it’s good, a Tales From the Crypt collection and Blood Meridian or Let Me In.
Interesting answers. I love Guaraldi’s Chrsitmas Time Is Here.
I even did a remix of a scene from Charlie Brown’s Christmas to celebrate it:
http://youtu.be/8anAUFwSu5E
Oh for sure, Guaraldi’s work is unbelievable! If you take Charlie Brown out of the picture I wonder what people’s impression would be to his music. One time at an old job I had my boss’ idiot drunk wife stumbled into where I was working and looked at the stereo while I was playing one of Guaraldi’s albums. She looked at me all confused and said, “c’mon man, this sounds like Charlie Brown music.” I turned to her and said as sullen as I could, “it is.” Her puffy, alcoholic face was priceless trying to wrap her q-tip sized brain around that.
I’m also a huge fan of Watchmen and I did a limited series of Atomic Skeleton print/paintings because I wanted one and I couldn’t find them anywhere and I figured I couldn’t be the only one that wanted one.
But I only made ten of them, like, two ears ago, and I’m still sitting on six of them. Guess I was wrong.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/157436586/watchmen-atomic-skeletons
Naked Lunch is decent but it’s not really a book, per se, but more of a stream-of-consciousness experiment in print. I’ve read it, like, five times, and I wanted to go through and highlight all of the oral and anal references in the book and do a literary criticism paper on the book, but I wasn’t in a lit crit class and wouldn’t have received any kind of compensation or credit for doing what would have been a major lit crit project so I decided not to bother.

I love oral and anal! I dig those atomic skeletons, I was scratching my head going what the fuck is an atomic skeleton, hah hah hah! Burroughs is going to be my next obsession after I get wrapped up with these two books.
I recommend warming up with his somewhat non-fiction novel Junky.
If you could do anything other than what you do now, what would you do?
Win the lottery and see the world.

Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met? You get three choices: Alive. Dead. Fictional.
 Alive would be John Waters or David Lynch, Dead would be John Coltrane or Miles Davis-if he didn’t beat the shit out of me, Fictional would be spending a day in the neighborhood on the Burbs.
What’s the best and worst job you’ve ever had?
Worst was setting up websites for merchant accounts over the phone-aka telemarketing.
Best was a record store because we just bullshit about movies and music all day.

Are there any questions that I didn’t ask that you wished I had asked that you would like to answer now?
Nah.

Anyone you recommend I interview that you can put me in touch with?
I would’ve said Chris from KOW.
Yeah, I got that locked. Now if only I can get him to kick back his responses to my second pass I can get his interview posted. I’m looking at YOU Earl/Chris!
My buddy Sam Stoner -real name- might be interesting to talk to. He’s been active as a drummer in Spokane forever.

Got any questions for me?
What is the goal behind this?
Decent question.
As I said on the Facebook page I created for the project, “
You Are Entitled To My Opinion is an interview blog I started because I was trying to promote my post-apocalyptic zombie epidemic book project and I couldn't get an interview about it and I don't think it should be hard to get an interview to talk about the work that you've done and any upcoming projects that you're working on.”
Ah yes, what’s the story behind this book? How long is it? I wrote an entire graphic novel script in 2005-6 and have shelved it since. Looking back on it there are some good ideas and scenes but I had NO fucking idea what I was doing. Also on my list of shit to do at some point.
Well I had a pretty decent interview conducted by Motif Magazine if you’ve got five minutes for a click-through and read: http://motifri.com/zombie-yourself/
But basically the short version is I decided to do a novel-length expansion of a short story that I had published in an anthology of zombie-themed stories. I figured rather than making up a bunch of characters based on my friends and acquaintances which they probably wouldn’t appreciate enough to bother reading anyway I’d put the project out for crowd-funding and see if I could pre-sell the idea rather than spending months writing the whole thing and then having to try to market it afterwards. I figure if no one showed any interest I wouldn’t bother writing the book. If someone wants to be in the book as a character, all they have to do is contribute to the campaign at the $50 or level or higher, although contribution levels start as low as $5 and contributors get something no matter what level they contribute at. The response has been decent. A lot of people have told me that crowd-funding being written in as a character is a good idea and they wish that they had thought of it so there will probably be some copycat campaigns sprouting up soon but for the time being I think I’m the only author doing this. Although the response has been decent it’s been a little tough moving the needle. I’ve been doing everything I can do to promote the campaign but I can’t go and hold everyone I know at gunpoint until they make a contribution. Either they’ll contribute or they won’t. But I hope that they do. I’d really like to be able to write in all of my friends. The campaign runs until Halloween so I still have a couple weeks to work the promotional pump but unless my friends and other people interested in being written into a post-apocalyptic zombie epidemic novel-length project start stepping up and putting their contributions where their compliments are I probably won’t meet my funding goal before Halloween. It’s a bit of a bitch but all is not lost. The people that do contribute will get an awesome story written about them and those that don’t will not.
You can check out the Rocket Hub Campaign here:
http://www.rockethub.com/projects/32985-the-end-of-the-world-is-nigh
And you can check out a sample chapter at the blog here:
http://theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com/2013/09/sample-chapter-middle-of-nowhere.html


Closing questions / summary / and thanks:
Thank you for subjecting yourself to being interviewed and thanks for giving me some decent answers to work with. It makes the whole process a lot easier for everyone involved.
Thanks for hitting me up. I like bullshitting.


Pitch parade: Give me all of your links for things you want to promote. All of them.
Facebook: www.facebook.com/yallaredead https://www.facebook.com/SundaySnuff https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yall-Are-Dead/271276526253600
Website: www.yallaredead.com
Blog: www.sundaysnuff.blogspot.com

About the Interviewee:
My name is Jimmy and I am on a quest to try and manifest as many things that pop into my mind onto paper in comics, short stories, graphic novels, and novelizations as humanly possible-in between being lazy, watching horror movies, and getting drunk.........a lot.

About the Interviewee:
Scott Lefebvre has probably read everything you've read and can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
He is the Assistant Program Director for The Arkham Film Society and produces Electronic Music under the names Master Control and LOVECRAFTWORK.
He is currently working on a novel-length expansion of a short-story titled, "The End Of The World Is Nigh", a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, post-apocalyptic, zombie epidemic project.
You can check out the blog for the book here: theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com
You can check out the Facebook Fan Page for the project here:
www.facebook.com/TheEndOfTheWorldIsNighBook
You can check his author profile at: www.amazon.com/Scott-Lefebvre/e/B001TQ2W9G
You can follow him at GoodReads here: www.goodreads.com/author/show/1617246.Scott_Lefebvre
You can check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
You can check out his videos at: www.youtube.com/user/doctornapoleon
You can check out his IMDB profile here: www.imdb.com/name/nm3678959
You can follow his Twitter here: twitter.com/TheLefebvre or @TheLefebvre
You can follow his Tumblr here: thelefebvre.tumblr.com
You can check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/people/arkhamscreenings
You can join the group for The Arkham Film Society here:
www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamscreenings
You can stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
You can e-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment