Thursday, November 7, 2013

Interview with Farah Rose.


Full Name:
Farah Rose Smith

Do you have a nickname or what do your friends call you?
Very close friends and family call me Rosie or Fee.

Birthplace:
Providence, Rhode Island

Current hometown:
Esmond, Rhode Island

Favorite city and why?
It has always been, and will always be, Providence. There’s something ancient- something mythic- about that place that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to part with.
What’s your favorite building in downtown Providence?
60 Eddy Street, without question. The building that houses big Nazo. It’s tucked away a bit, but it’s breathtaking. I’m a sucker for Beaux-Arts architecture.


Birthday / Age:

September 19th / 22 years old… although I feel 60 and act about 45.
Your birthday’s the day after mine! What’s up Virgo! I mean, I don’t celebrate mine or anything, but in my secret heart of hearts I still think it’s cool.
I don’t celebrate mine either. Unless you count sleeping in and watching silent flicks a “celebration.”
If that’s a celebration, then I’m a party animal.

How would you describe yourself physically?
I have all my limbs and features.
Lucky you.
There’s starving kids in some random foreign country that would kill to have all of their limbs and features as my mother used to say.
This is true. I try to remember that I’m one of the lucky ones.

How would someone else describe you physically?
Brown chicken brown cow.


The first thing people notice about you is…
My giant owl eyes that cut into your soul.
Alls I’ve got is a permanent case of raccoon eyes. You lucked out.
Nothing wrong with looking a bit haunted.
In light of recent developments I think I’m going to call them “Caligari eyes”.

Hair Color / Eye Color / Race?
Fake blonde/Green/Scottish, Czech, German, Irish, English, Italian, Albanian

Sexual orientation?
Straight. I do have a fascination with women’s beauty (particularly faces) which translates into my love of fashion, models, and pin up photography, but it ends there. Send me the gents! (Are there any left?)
Not in Providence there aren’t. Skinny jeans strangle testicles and decrease testosterone causing effeminate tendencies. And since Providence is populated by hipsters, and hipsters all wear skinny jeans. Well, you do the math.
I go to school in Boston. I know all about hipsters.


Religion, if any?
I’m certainly not a fan of organized religion, despite my interest in theology. I call myself a Christian, but my views incorporate concepts from many religions.  I don’t adhere to religious texts. Sometimes they can be useful, but it seems they are used for destruction more often than not. I try to figure things out for myself. Most of my friends are atheists and pagans, so I’m not one of those “my religion is the do-all and end-all of existence” types. I’m a spiritual wanderer. I do have a pretty significant fascination with the occult.
Do you practice anything?
Do I actively practice? Not in the traditional sense. I do pray, though.


Are you superstitious at all? Any phobias?
I’m superstitious as all hell, but that might be more of an OCD trait than anything else. As for phobias, that distinction goes to wasps. I’m horrified by werewolves. I chalk it up to my love of wolves and the infringement of Freud and the uncanny.
That makes perfect sense to me.

Do you smoke/drink?
No and no.


Any bad habits
None that I care to reveal.

Current occupation / Dream job
I recently quit my job in I.T., so I’m working as a freelance makeup artist on small film projects. I’m also work as a freelance photographer. My dream is to become a film director that specializes in films that incorporate art history, the avant-garde, and experimental techniques in feature-length narratives. I recently started my own production company, Grimoire Pictures, in order to further this venture along. It seems to me that films are either heavy on art direction with shitty stories, or have great stories and look so-so. Great storytelling needs both. I’m going to make a concerted effort to raise the bar. Luckily production design and writing are my forté. If I could be some kooky amalgamation of Kenneth Anger, Dario Argento, Eugenio Recuenco, and Paulina Otylie Surys, I would be living the life.
I hope that you are successful in your endeavor. It would be nice to see a movie worth watching for a change. Everything released for the past few years has left me pretty dry and unenthusiastic for the future of film.
The future of film is in the independent arena and underground. There is hope. I have to believe that.

What do you like to do when you’re not at work?
I love to read and write in my free time. Or play guitar. I also like to walk for hours to obscure places so I can get ideas for stories. This is starting to sound like a personals ad. I also like long walks on the beach, blood-filled bath tubs, and bats.
If this was a personal ad, there would be implicit extraordinarily high expectations. If you’re at the point that you’re taking out personal ads, maybe you should lower the bar a bit. People that take out personal ads do so because none of their friends or acquaintances, or friends or acquaintances of their friends or acquaintances, or co-workers, or friends or acquaintances of their coworkers will fuck them. If it really reaches that point in your romantic life that you’re soliciting strangers, then either you’re the problem, or you’re better off being alone. I chose the second. Your choice is fish, so be drinkable.
Not to worry. I’m determined to die an old spinster with a house full of bats. No personal ads for me. Nobody can handle me, anyway.
I can totally relate. I’ve settled quite well into my prolonged bachelorhood. Some girl doesn’t want to hang out and watch ten film noir movies in a row? Fine, then, go home, because that’s what I’m doing and if that’s not your kind of thing, then it’s probably not going to work out.

What is your zombie outbreak survival plan?
I’m going to be the person that shacks up in an abandoned CVS and hangs out behind the candy counter with a twelve gauge.
That sounds like an excellent plan.


Weapon of choice:
For the zombie outbreak? A twelve-gauge! Or any firearm readily available. My uncles used to call me Annie Oakley, so I should be all set.
 “The Bride: You any good with that shotgun?
Karen Kim: Not that I have to be at this range, but I'm a fucking surgeon with this shotgun.
The Bride: Well, guess what, bitch? I'm better than Annie Oakley and I've got you right in my sights, so let's talk.”
Tarantino… call me.

Do you have any special skills?
I’m a green belt in Kenpo. And just so happened to be more lethal and efficient than all of the black belts. I had a knack for weaponry back in the day. I used to shoot, too. I’d like to get back into it. (My original dream was to be a stunt coordinator).
I also have Doug Jones-esque movement abilities. Creepy as hell. So if anyone is looking for someone to go under prosthetic makeup and make it look believable, give me a call.
My friend David Lavallee is a local stunt coordinator. I know it’s tough to find female performers that can handle fight scenes so if you’d like I can put you in touch with him.
I’m game! Just tell me who you want in a neck brace first.
I sent you both Friend Suggestions for each other. Now it’s up to the two of you to work it out.

Did you go to college and, if so, what for?
I’m in college now. It’s strange being an “older” student. I’m about to take a semester off to focus on creative ventures.
Which college for what?
Emerson College. I am technically still a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, but I spent seven months designing my own independent major and it was recently approved in the first round. One last signature and I’ll be the one and only Alternative Production Design student up there.


If you went to college, did you manage to pay off your student loans?
They are piling up as we speak.

Any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?
Yes. I have a black cat with three names because screw convention. Rolae, Thump, or Muppet. She responds to none of them.

What is your favorite animal?
Wolves. I’ve been obsessed with them since I was a kid.
Yet you have a phobia of werewolves? Where’s the point of departure where the lupine goes from being your favorite to phobic?
At what point does the theory of the uncanny begin to apply? I can’t pinpoint it. I had recurring nightmares… horrific ones… about werewolves since I was about 4 or 5. They were so menacing and sinister that I can’t describe them without rambling on for centuries. But I’m better with them now. No longer a phobia. Thank you, Underworld!


Speaking of pets, any pet peeves?
Valley girl-speak. Loud chewing. The word “like.”
I made a conscious decision to exorcise the word “like” from my vocabulary unless actively using it in the creation of a comparison or metaphor. But now I have these awkward gaps in my speech where the word “like” used to go, but it’s a personal peeve of mine that not everyone is as disciplined as I am with their use of the word “like”. I also hate “ya know”. No, actually, I don’t fucking know. You’re telling me now, so how would I already know?
I am guilty of “ya know.” I’m working on it. I also hate when people say “literally.”
I don’t say it. I don’t say much in the real world.
I write books sometimes, so I often use “literally” as a double-entendre, but almost never as a pun.


Favorite / Least favorite Food:
Lamb/Yam Stew. It’s a thing. I don’t really have a least favorite. I’m not really an eat-for-pleasure person. Food is fuel.

What is your favorite quotation / motto / saying?

I have two.
“Yesterday’s weirdness is tomorrow’s reason why.” – Hunter S. Thompson
“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this- you haven’t.” – Thomas A. Edison


What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
I was born.

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?

Being horribly sick when I was younger and having to hear doctors tell me I was faking it. I suffered for a long time. Luckily I have a will to live unlike any I have ever met and learned to manage my chronic illnesses. It’s a daily challenge, but I hope to show people with similar problems that living a dream is not only possible, but probable if you fight hard enough.
What kinds of chronic illnesses?
I have  EoE and EG… eosiniphilic esophagitis and eosiniphilic gastroenteritis. They involve an overabundance of eosiniphilic cells in the body that result in severe food allergies and sensitivities. It can be similar symptomatically to Crohn’s disease.  The limited diet I have to maintain to remain well is tough to deal with, but I’d take it any day over a feeding tube. There was no way in hell I was going to take that path. I suffered for years without a diagnosis and no treatment ever helped me. Being in and out of doctor’s offices for two decades changes a person. You learn how important living life to the fullest is. I no longer let my illnesses define me. They did so for too long. But by being open about them, I hope that I can inspire other people with disabilities to strive on.


Ever had your heart broken? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
Yes, but I’ve retired that story. Some people aren’t worth my words.

Ever broken someone’s heart? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
No. Although men get pissed when they find out I’m strong-willed and virtuous. There’s no shame in being iron-born.

What is the best thing you’ve ever done?
I don’t if I can think of one particularly grand thing. I can say, however, that no matter what I come up against in life, I have a ferocious sense of self-respect that rises up when I’m faced with a challenge or an enemy. The best thing I’ve ever done? It would have to be standing my ground, no matter what, for what I feel is right. I am the God of my own life. No one will ever change that, and to know it, and to have the ability to mold that knowledge to my advantage… is a great thing, indeed.

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?
I became distant from my family, and I’m ashamed of it. They are wholly supportive of anything and everything that I do. I love them so much, but sometimes I forget that they are getting older and won’t always be here.

If you could kill one person, consequence free, who would it be and why?
Wow. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to dirty my hands with the blood of my enemies. My smiles will be enough of a death to them.
As they say, “The best revenge is living well.”
Word up.


What do you do?
I am a writer, photographer, and filmmaker.

How did you get started doing what you do?
I’ve been a writer since childhood, starting with picture books and now working on novels and screenplays. I began photography after high school in an attempt to regain self-confidence after brutal bullying. I became a filmmaker after finally realizing that it was the amalgamation of all my passions in one concrete art form.
I never thought about film that way. Thank you for the insight.
I try.


What is your advice to other people that want to get started doing what you do?
Don’t take no for an answer. Be your own advocate, don’t adhere to the conventional route, and work, work, work. Blood, sweat, and tears count for something. Learn to weed out leeches fast. And don’t let people who let their dreams die ruin your outlook on your own chances. Let lamenters lament. Strive on.

What are some of the projects you’ve worked on/finished in the past? Give us a little history if you will.

In January 2013 I completed my first short film, “The Atrocity Shoppe.” It was an experimental horror film.
Most things I’ve worked on, whether it be a photoshoot, a film project, or a writing project, have been of my own design. Unfortunately when I ask to work for people, they say “No thanks, but I’ll work for you.” I’m going to assume that is a good thing.
I recently came across hundreds of poems I wrote some time ago that I’m going to attempt to publish in one form or another in the coming year. I’m finishing edits of three scripts, starting a novel, conceptualizing/shooting over 30 photoshoots, and trying to organize a crowd funding campaign. I don’t really have time to pitch in on other people’s projects.
But I’ve been working as a makeup artist on a few local productions and some student projects, so that keeps me out in the world.


What projects are you working on now?
Right now I’m finalizing the third script in a art-horror film trilogy/triptych that I hope to film in it’s entirety in the next 6 or 7 years. I’m in pre-production for the first film right now, and am hoping to shoot in Summer or Fall 2014. It’s called “An Account Above Burnside Park.” It’s a Victorian psychological horror, hearkening back to some old Roger Corman works. There’s a bit of a Poe atmosphere to the whole thing.  I’m aiming to launch the Kickstarter Campaign in Spring 2014, so be on the lookout for it.
Let me know if you need any help. I don’t have any money to contribute, but you’re welcome to my time and effort. Plus I know a few people in the local independent film scene, and I’d be willing to help promote your campaign. As I often said during my own campaign that I ran last month, “A share is almost as good as a donation.”
I’m absolutely open to help. Spread the word, my friend. A thousand whispers may become a roar.


What are you watching?
I’ve been busy with writing, so mostly I’ve been watching reruns of Night Gallery. I re-watched Logan’s Run recently. The first science fiction film I ever watched, and a favorite to this day. They just don’t make them like they used to. 60s, 70s and 80s sci fi, horror, and fantasy are my main loves and sources of influence.
Have you ever seen Silent Running (1972)? It’s amazing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/
I haven’t! I’ll add it to my growing to-see list.


What are you listening to?
I’ve been listening to a lot of soundtracks recently. Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Michael Nyman, Goblin. All helpful for getting in the mood to write the kind of things I write.
I have a HUGE collection of soundtracks. If you want to meet up and have a media dump, clear out about 20 Gigs on your preferred storage medium and you can have the lot. I’d offer to just transfer them over via some sort of online storage but I haven’t found a free site that will let me post 20 Gigs in a lump yet. My first instinct is to say yes. My second instinct is to ask… can we get arrested for that?
This isn’t a sting. Legal authorities aren’t in the habit of pursuing and prosecuting the sharing of digital media between private individuals… yet. Not unless you set up a website and distribute your media online without proper copyright authorization, unless you live in The Netherlands, apparently. Will we be violating the copyrights of the owners of the copyrights? Yes. Absolutely. I know that just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t make it right, but I don’t have the kind of money to buy 209 albums. If the artists are surviving and still performing I do whatever I can to promote them and see them live, and if I had the money I’d pay for all of the music I’ve “stolen” but I don’t and I sleep okay at night. In the end, it’s up to you. Just don’t tell Paul Williams.


What are you reading?
I recently read The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. I was the last of my friends to do so, so I was playing catch up. It was brilliant. I’ll always favor classic horror over modern horror. Something about modern writing irks me. I prefer an archaic tongue and a true grasp of the English language. There is a richness that can’t be beat. Right now I’m re-reading Goethe’s Faust to get my mind in the right place for my occult-themed script.

Favorite author / book?
I couldn’t be forced to choose. My literary heroes are H.P. Lovecraft, Phillip K. Dick, Vladimir Nabokov, and E.T.A. Hoffmann. My favorite book would have to be either The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Phillip K. Dick.

Favorite band / song?
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble/Change It

Least favorite band / song?
Too many to choose from. I don’t like rap or pop. Blues, classic rock, and hair metal bands are my thing.

Desert Island Music / Movies / Books: You know the deal. Five of each.

Music:
Diamond Dogs, David Bowie
Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
After Hours/Gary Moore
Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Permanent Vacation, Aerosmith
Movies:
Suspiria
Dragonwyck
Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)
Aliens
L.A. Confidential.
Books:
The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Phillip K. Dick
The Golden Pot and Other Tales by E.T.A. Hoffmann
The Dunwich Horror and Others by H.P. Lovecraft
Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez


If you could do anything other than what you do now, what would you do?
I’d be a blues-rock guitarist full-time.

Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met? You get three choices:
Alive. Dead. Fictional.
David Bowie. Vincent Price. Jareth the Goblin King (because, you know. Spandex.)

What’s the best and worst job you’ve ever had?
The best job I ever had was teaching martial arts. It was empowering to teach people how to fight for themselves. I miss it. The worst job I ever had was working as a computer labbie. Answering phones and fixing jammed printers are soul-crushing tasks for a dreamer.

Are there any questions that I didn’t ask that you wished I had asked that you would like to answer now?
Nope! You covered a lot. Huzzah!

Anyone you recommend I interview that you can put me in touch with?
Go through my friends list on Facebook! Most of my friends are artists of some sort and I’m sure would love to be interviewed.
I probably have interviews pending with most of them. Providence is a pretty tight-knit scene, and everyone knows everyone else. But if there’s anyone reading this that wants to be interviewed, drop me a message and we’ll get the ball rolling.


Got any questions for me?
If you could interview anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
What are YOUR desert island Movies/Books/Music?

I actually had the tables turned on me and completed the survey and used it as a way to show people how to completely dominate an interview.
http://youareentitledtomyopinioninterviews.blogspot.com/2013/10/you-are-entitled-to-my-opinion_9724.html
It was a lot of fun to show people how it’s done, but since you asked for two specific replies I shall provide them as requested.

My interview choices would probably be the same as my…
Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met? You get three choices:
Alive. Dead. Fictional.

I’ve been really fortunate that I’ve met most of the people that I’ve wanted to meet.
Alive: Stephen King or Henry Rollins.
Dead: Charles Bukowski.
Fictional: God.


Desert Island Music/Movies/Books: You know the deal. Five of each.
Always hated this one, but it’s such an easy question to throw at people to figure out the kind of person that they are and what they’re into.
MUSIC:
Tom Waits – Spare Change
Chopin – Complete Nocturnes
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Guns ‘n’ Roses – Appetite For Destruction
Metallica – Master of Puppets
The last two I’m not so sure about but they’re pretty flawless albums.
MOVIES:
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
The Exorcist
Silence of the Lambs
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
I’ve got a big soft spot for the Universal Monsters and the other four I’ve seen at least two hundred times a piece so I guess I must like them.
BOOKS:
Clive Barker – Books of Blood
Charles Bukowski – Ham On Rye
A CBR of all of the comic book Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children.
A CBR of all of The Uncanny X-Men
The Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo, as translated by William Scott Wilson
Thanks for letting me subject you to being interviewed!

Pitch parade:
Give me all of your links for things you want to promote.   All of them.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/grimoirepicturesboston
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FarahRose9

About the Interviewee:
Farah Rose is a writer, photographer, and director focusing on avant-garde/art horror, faerie tale, and science fiction productions. She is currently a student at Emerson College majoring in Alternative Production Design, and also a certificate candidate at RISD for Digital Video Production. She recently created a production company, Grimoire Pictures, specializing in the production of avant-garde genre works. Her first feature film, "An Account Above Burnside Park,"  is currently in pre-production with a projected release in 2015. She lives in Esmond, RI with her tria nomina feline and the house ghost, Mr. Cordillo.


About the Interviewer:
Scott Lefebvre has probably read everything you've read and can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
He is the Assistant Program Director for The Arkham Film Society and produces Electronic Music under the names Master Control and LOVECRAFTWORK.
He is currently working on a novel-length expansion of a short-story titled, "The End Of The World Is Nigh", a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, post-apocalyptic, zombie epidemic project.
Check out the blog for the book here: theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com
Check out the Facebook Fan Page for the project here: www.facebook.com/TheEndOfTheWorldIsNighBook
Check his author profile at: www.amazon.com/Scott-Lefebvre/e/B001TQ2W9G
Follow him at GoodReads here:
www.goodreads.com/author/show/1617246.Scott_Lefebvre
Check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
Check out his videos at: www.youtube.com/user/doctornapoleon
Check out his IMDB profile here: www.imdb.com/name/nm3678959
Follow his Twitter here: twitter.com/TheLefebvre or @TheLefebvre
Follow his Tumblr here: thelefebvre.tumblr.com
Check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/shop/ScottLefebvreArt
Join the group for The Arkham Film Society here:
www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamscreenings
Stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
E-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com


OPTIONAL: Prove you’re not a replicant.

Question 1:
A tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?
Probably because I’m in the sun too, and it’s hot and I’m dehydrated… so I’m contemplating tortoise soup. But I do feel bad for the little guy. Let’s end his suffering. I’ll grab the utensils. 
And then I skip away singing the lobster quadrille.
Question 2:
Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about your mother.
Solid. Tough. Brilliant. Witty. Cunning. Regal. Warrior.
Question 3:
It's your birthday. Someone gives you a calfskin wallet.
That’s a shitty gift. They obviously don’t know me very well. Should have been snakeskin, you fucker.
Question 4:
You've got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar.
Wait… where did I get a little boy!?
Question 5:
You're watching television. Suddenly you realise there's a wasp crawling on your arm.
NOOOOOOOOOOO.
That’s all I got.
Question 6:
You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a girl. You show it to your husband. He likes it so much he hangs it on your bedroom wall.
Sounds like something I would do. Obviously if I’m showing it to my husband there is already some kind of naughty dynamic that allows for such actions. Let him hang it up. I approve.

Question 7:
You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progress. The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters. The entree consists of boiled dog.
Oh that’s awful. Pan-seared is much better.
Nah, I’m just kidding. I love dogs.
With ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment