Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Interview with Tim Dry.



Full Name:
Tim Dry
Do you get a lot of jokes about having a “dry” sense of humor?
Sometimes.  There’s a few comedians on FaceBook! But it’s a great place to show everything that one does as an artist.  In my case that’s writing, photographic art, music and performance stuff.

Do you have a nickname or what do your friends call you?
Sir, if they’ve got any sense!
Well said… sir.

Birthplace:
Redhill, Surrey, UK.

Current hometown:
London.

Favorite city and why?
Paris.  Beauty, romance, history, elegance, art, sex.  What’s not to like?
I’ve wanted to visit Paris for years.  Interviewing interviewees that have been is just making it worse.  Maybe later this year if I can get my writing career off the ground.
You’ll love it.  Trust me!

Birthday / Age:
January 9th 1952 / 62.

How would you describe yourself physically?
Tall, stylish, supple and still fairly skinny.  Bald.

How would someone else describe you physically?
Attractive in an unusual way.

The first thing people notice about you is…
Depends if I’m wearing clothes or not!  My eyes?  You’d have to ask them though really.

Religion, if any?
No.

Are you superstitious at all? Any phobias?
Not superstitious.  Problem with snakes and large insects.  Nothing unusual.

Do you smoke / drink? If so, what? Any bad habits?
I smoked for 45 years but I don’t any longer.  I really enjoy red wine, Margaritas and Vodka Martinis. Bad habits? A tendency to worry too much, being overly cynical, self-pitying and judgmental.  Quite possibly being too honest in interviews too!
That’s okay.  You wouldn’t be the first shy interviewee I’ve interviewed.  As long as everyone answers all of the questions and gets the questions back to me without my having to chase them down I’m relatively content.  Share as much as you like, and leave the rest to the imagination.

Current occupation / Dream job:
Artist /  Being paid consistently well for this one!
Oh, isn’t that always the dream?
Yes absolutely.  I find the constant Feast or Famine very tiring the older I get.  It’s even harder these days to get anything successful off the ground, especially in the writing and acting arenas.  I’ve always felt I should be cast in movies as a Dickensian character or some evil being in a huge horror movie with my face visible so that I could really clean up at Conventions!  As yet it hasn’t happened.

What do you like to do when you’re not at work?
Read, watch movies, enjoy dinners with friends, indulge in conversation, walking and looking upwards at buildings, trees and the sky.

What is your zombie outbreak survival plan?
Run?  Play dead?  Wake up?

Weapon of choice:
Magnum Desert Eagle pistol and a Samurai sword.


Do you have any special skills?
Mime, photographic art, writing speculative fiction, making well-crafted electronica music and throwing the javelin when I was at school.
Oh cool!  I dabble a bit with electronic music too!  Where can we find some of your stuff to listen to?
If you Google Tik & Tok, Shock, Noir and TIMANDMO you’ll find various sites with music on them but most of the stuff I’ve been involved with is for sale not for free listening.  The 2007 Tik & Tok album ‘Dream Orphans’ was made entirely at home in my tiny workroom using a MacBook Pro running Logic Pro 7 and an electric guitar and FX. I’m still blown away by being able to do that, especially having come from the analogue days of tape and ridiculously expensive studios back in the 1980s.
Isn’t it amazing?  I used to be a part of a few bands back in the day and it was always a major endeavor working around everyone’s schedule to schedule band practice.  I downloaded WavePad by NCH software to edit out the silence from those self-indulgent “hidden tracks” tracks that bands used to put on their CDs.  A four minute song, then twelve minutes of silence, with a joke song at the end is a waste of time and drive space so I’d edit out the silence and if the “hidden track” was worth saving I’d save it as a separate track.  I noticed the software offered the option to combine tracks and I spent the last two years getting familiar with the software and putting together electronic music.  A fair amount of listens on Soundcloud, but no sales through Bandcamp yet, so I downgraded my electronic music to a hobby and focused on other more remunerative pursuits.  I’ve got a decent sample library of samples I put together though, so if you want me to pack it up as a rar archive and send it over for you to play with just let me know.

Did you go to college and, if so, what for?
Art School in the early ‘70s for a Diploma in Graphic Design.

If you went to college, did you manage to pay off your student loans?
Didn’t have loans in those days.  I had a grant.

Any pets?   If so, what are they and what are their names?
Two black and white girl cat sisters. Stella and Luna.

What is your favorite animal?
Cat.

Speaking of pets, any pet peeves?
Shedding and scratching of furniture.
I see what you did there.  Well-played, sir!

Favorite / Least favorite Food:
Thai, French, Indian, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Polish / Rhubarb, marrow, celery, suet puddings.

What is your favorite quotation / motto / saying?
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it". - Albert Einstein.

What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
In no particular order: Forming Tik & Tok in 1980, my first two long term relationships, falling in love and getting married to a beautiful and creative young woman, seeing The Beatles live in 1964 and David Bowie live in 1972, being featured in ‘Return Of The Jedi’ and more. Can’t just say one thing!

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
The death of my mother and brother, the suicide of my niece and getting divorced.

What is the best thing you’ve ever done?
Tell the truth.

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?
Lie

If you could kill one person, who would it be, and why?
God.  Do you need to ask?

What do you do?
I’m a writer of speculative fiction, a photographic artist, a musician, an occasional character actor and a mime.

How did you get started doing what you do?
I started drawing and writing when I was about seven and things grew from there. I added more strings to my bow over the decades. I got my first guitar when I was thirteen, I started studying mime in 1976, got my first synths in 1982, several proper SLR cameras from 1991 and my first Mac in 1999.

What is your advice to other people that want to get started doing what you do?
Don’t give up.  Stay enchanted.  If it’s not fulfilling your creative urges find another outlet.  Keep a sense of enquiry and most importantly a sense of humour at all times.

What are some of the projects you’ve worked on/finished in the past?
Give us a little history if you will.
Writing three short stories last year for Dean M Drinkel’s horror anthologies, namely ‘The Bestiarum Vocabulum’,‘Phobophobias’ and ‘Demonology’. Recording 5 chart singles and an album with my duo Tik & Tok in the early ‘80s.  Being featured in two roles in ‘Return Of The Jedi’, photographing Mick Jagger and Joan Collins. Playing an alien monster in the cult movie ‘Xtro’, writing and publishing my autobiography ‘Falling Upwards – Scenes From A Life’, having one of my photographic portraits exhibited in the National Portrait Gallery in London, appearing in front HRH Queen Elizabeth II on the Royal Variety Show in 1983.  Performing with my group Shock for 12 nights at the Ritz Club in New York in 1981, supporting Gary Numan on his seven week UK tour ‘Warriors’ in 1983, making new and innovative music under the duo name TIMANDMO in 2008 -2010.  Co-presenting a UK food and drink TV series for Channel 4 TV in 1997, being featured in over 90 TV Commercials in the UK, Europe and the USA.  Writing two articles for Forbes magazine in 2013.




What projects are you working on now?
I’ve just finished my first novella. It’s called ‘Ricochet’ and I’m waiting for feedback on that from some trusted and honest readers and depending on their responses I’ll then try and get it published with a small imprint.  I’ve just placed one piece of photographic art into an exhibition in London and have recently sold several limited edition prints of some of my best photographic work. I’m hoping to write more stories.  I have three Star Wars Conventions coming up as an autograph guest this year already and I’ve recently completed a small part in a feature film called ‘Le Accelerator’. I have another short feature to film in March.  Meanwhile I’m just waiting for JJ Abrams to call me about ‘Episode VII’!


What are you watching?
Currently?  Every season of the TV series from the US – Las Vegas on DVD.  Love it!

What are you listening to?
Max Richter’s album ‘Memory House’ when I’m writing.  It’s like a moody film soundtrack.  But I don’t tend to listen to too much music these days.

What are you reading?
‘The Bestiarum Vocabulum’ edited by Dean M Drinkel, to which I contributed a story called ‘O Is For Onokentaura’.  There’s some seriously dark stuff in the antho!  Also Stephen King’s ‘Dr Sleep’(finding it a bit hard going to be honest) and Keith Laumer’s ‘The Infinite Cage’ (a fave from the early ‘70s!).





Favorite author / book?
Stephen King, Bill Bryson, Colin Wilson, Clive Barker, David Sedaris, Sarah Pinborough, Ian McKewan, Rupert Thomson, Michael Moorcock, Barbie Wilde etc, etc. Can’t pick a particular fave from each of them sorry!
That’s okay, more is usually better when it comes to interviews answers.

Favorite band / song?
Bowie, Beatles, Kinks, Kate Bush, William Orbit, Jimi Hendrix, Eno,Todd Rundgren, The Who, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, early Van Halen, Vangelis,Joni Mitchell etc, etc.  Can’t pick a particular fave from each of them!

Least favorite band / song?
Any rap artist, all modern R&B, modern jazz, most ‘70s prog rock, country and western.  Any song by any of them.

If you could do anything other than what you do now, what would you do?
Be an assassin or a magician!

Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met?
You get three choices: Alive. Dead. Fictional.
David Bowie, John Lennon, Obi Wan Kenobi.

What’s the best and worst job you’ve ever had?
Picking lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield’s bum! (one for Derek and Clive fans everywhere!). Best - being paid to do anything that I’m quite good at. Worst - working as a porter in a mental institution and a filing clerk in the local tax office in the 1970s.

Are there any questions that I didn’t ask that you wished I had asked that you would like to answer now?
Yes!Fave films: Performance, Aliens, Day Of The Jackal, Terminator II,Pulp Fiction,The Thing, Se7en, Psycho, LA Confidential, Gladiator, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Ben Hur, Jason And The Argonauts, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Laura, Silence Of The Lambs, Vertigo, Don’t Look Now, Amelie, Dead Of Night, Clockwork Orange, Blow Up etc, etc.


Anyone you recommend I interview that you can put me in touch with?
Maybe, but I’d kind of rather get my own underway first!

Got any questions for me?
Why is the raven like a writing desk?
“I haven't the slightest idea.”


Thanks for letting me subject you to being interviewed!
My pleasure!


Pitch parade:
Give me all of your links for things you want to promote.   All of them.
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/tim.dry
https://www.facebook.com/timdryauthor?fref=ts https://www.facebook.com/tikandtokofficial?fref=ts
Twitter: https://twitter.com/timdry1
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1494375222/
Websites:
http://www.timdry.co.uk  http://www.starwarscontinuum.com http://www.tikandtok.com http://timandmo.bandcamp.com/album/happy-accidents-debut-album


About the Interviewee:
Tim Dry is a mime artist, writer, musician and actor, best known for appearing in ‘Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi’ (in which he had two featured roles, namely J’Quille- Whiphid and a Mon Calamari Officer) plus playing The Alien in the cult Sci Fi/horror movie 'Xtro' and for being half of a duo, Tik and Tok, that popularized robotic mime in the UK in the 1980s.
Tim is also an award-winning photographic artist, whose subjects have included Mick Jagger, Steven Berkoff, composer Georg Kajanus, author Rupert Thomson, The Mediaeval Baebes, writer Barbie Wilde and Joan Collins. His work has been exhibited in the National Portrait Gallery and the Arts Club amongst other prestigious galleries in London and Europe.
As a musician he released five chart singles and an album in the '80s as Tik & Tok. He recorded an album with Georg Kajanus under the name Noir in the '90s and in 2011 with guitarist Mo Blackford he released a digital album entitled 'Happy Accidents'.
In 2010 he played the lead in the short horror/comedy movie 'SON Of Nosferatu'.
Tim is the author of two published books of memoirs and is currently hard at work creating the first of a series of novellas entitled 'Ricochet'. He also has short stories coming out in three Horror anthologies edited by Dean M Drinkel in 2013/4. And in conjunction with The Followers Of The Pandorics in the USA he has created an animated graphic novel in DVD format entitled 'The Lenzkirch Advent'. For which he also wrote and recorded original musical scores and all of the voice overs. Tim has also contributed articles to Forbes magazine. He is also a regular guest at worldwide autograph conventions.



About the Interviewer:
Scott Lefebvre can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island, and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
He is currently working on ten novel-length book projects which will be released in 2014.
He also publishes themed collections of interviews from his interview blog You Are Entitled To My Opinion.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
He is the Assistant Program Director for The Arkham Film Society and produces electronic music under the names Master Control and LOVECRAFTWORK.
He is currently working on a novel-length expansion of a short-story titled, "The End Of The World Is Nigh", a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, post-apocalyptic, zombie epidemic project.
Check out the blog for the book here: theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com
Check out the Facebook Fan Page for the project here: www.facebook.com/TheEndOfTheWorldIsNighBook
Check his author profile at: www.amazon.com/Scott-Lefebvre/e/B001TQ2W9G
Follow him at GoodReads here:
www.goodreads.com/author/show/1617246.Scott_Lefebvre
Check out his publishing imprint Burnt Offerings Books here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burnt-Offerings-Books/1408858196016246
And here: http://burntofferingsbooks.blogspot.com/
Check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
Check out his videos at: www.youtube.com/user/doctornapoleon
Check out his IMDB profile here: www.imdb.com/name/nm3678959
Follow his Twitter here: twitter.com/TheLefebvre or @TheLefebvre
Follow his Tumblr here: thelefebvre.tumblr.com
Check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/shop/ScottLefebvreArt
Join the group for The Arkham Film Society here:
www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamscreenings
Stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
E-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment