Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Interview with J. H. Moncrieff.





Full Name:
J.H. Moncrieff

Do you have a nickname or what do your friends call you?
Oh, I miss nicknames! I haven’t had one since high school. Back then, people called me “Hooligan the Ultimate Rebel,” or simply “Hooligan.”
Did you live up to your nickname or was it honorary?
I got the nickname because of my habit of standing up to incompetent teachers. Growing up in a small Northern community, we got all of the teachers who couldn’t hack it anywhere else, and when they were abusive or stupid…well, let’s just say I didn’t keep quiet about it. I had some incredible teachers too, but they were few and far between.

Birthplace:
Way up north in a tiny town called Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada. It’s not far from Alaska.
I looked up Fort Nelson on Google Maps.  It looks like there are more trees than people, and about as many moose.  What was it like being born in a place where everyone knows everyone else?
There were both good and bad aspects. I had about a dozen “best friends” and everyone accepted me for who I am—there were no misunderstandings or assumptions. But you’re pigeonholed, so everyone expects the seven-year-old you to be the same as the 22-year-old you, and so on. I had less personal drama when I lived in Fort Nelson, and one thing I can always count on—if I’m ever in trouble, the people I grew up with will have my back. One of my elementary-school friends was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. His brother put out a plea for financial help, and within a day or two, they’d raised over $20K, even though neither of them has lived in Ft. Nelson for years.


Current hometown:
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Soon to be Palau if things work out.

Favorite city and why?
I really love Shanghai.  It’s such an interesting mix of old and new worlds, there’s a ton to see and do, and the food is to die for.
Shanghai, China?  What were you doing in Shanghai?

I toured China for a month last year. I’ve wanted to see China since I was a little girl, and it didn’t disappoint. What a fascinating country! It’s much more beautiful than people give it credit for. And the food—the food was so amazing! I’ll never get over it. I’d go back in a heartbeat.
You might be getting the idea that I love to travel. ;) In July, I’m attending a horror-writers’ workshop in Transylvania, and from there going on a major tour of Greece. I’m very excited!
Be careful.  I’ve heard that Greece is a beautiful country, but if their postal system is any reflection of the state of their government, it’s not in very good shape.
It’s a tumultuous time to visit Greece and I sincerely feel for the people and what they’re going through, but I’ve been assured it’s safe for tourists. Using common sense is key to staying safe anywhere.


Birthday / Age:
May 23rd.  I plead the fifth on the year.

How would you describe yourself physically?
On the taller side, slender, with bright red hair.

How would someone else describe you physically?
Probably best I don’t know.

The first thing people notice about you is…
That’s easy.  My hair.

Sexual orientation?
Straight as an arrow. Boring but true. Although I once played on a lesbian sponge-hockey team.
What’s sponge-hockey?  Is it a lesbian thing?  Like scissoring?
Sponge hockey is a sport that was invented in Winnipeg. It’s like street hockey, except played with a sponge puck while wearing broomball shoes.  Most of the rules are the same as regular hockey. I didn’t seek out a lesbian team—I just joined a women’s team and it turned out that way. And man, can those women play hockey! They’re amazing.
So it’s like the Canadian version of roller derby, but derived from hockey.  Got it.
I’ll take your word for it. Roller derby is one sport I haven’t tried.


Religion, if any?
None.  I would call myself agnostic.

Are you superstitious at all? Any phobias?
Not superstitious, but I’m occasionally claustrophobic and I have trouble going down escalators because I was hurt on one as a child.  I’ve almost drowned in rough water twice, so I can be a nervous swimmer/snorkler, even though I love the ocean.
Tell me more about your escalator accident.
I can’t remember what happened…I was too young, but my mother told me part of my clothing got caught in one of the treads, so I was stuck. I didn’t even realize I had a problem with them until I moved to the city, tried to get on an escalator, and couldn’t. Interestingly, I have no problem with them as long as they’re going up.
Better your clothing than your hair.  That usually doesn’t work out well.
Ouch!

Do you smoke/drink? If so, what? Any bad habits?
Never smoked and rarely drink. My bad habit was an addiction to Diet Pepsi, but I gave it up a month ago.
You’re lucky they don’t make Crystal Pepsi anymore.  It was like the meth of Pepsis.
I think I tried Crystal Pepsi once and didn’t care for it.
Alright, it wasn’t really the meth of Pepsis.  It was just Pepsi without the food coloring.
I loved the diet version, but I don’t care for the “real thing.” If I want a cola as a treat now, I prefer Coke. But I only have it very occasionally.  (Twice since I gave up Diet Pepsi.)


Current occupation / Dream job:
Freelance journalist and writer. / Full-time novelist.

What do you like to do when you’re not at work?
Travel, muay thai kick box, read, hang out with friends, my boyfriend and the cats, garden, go to the beach if it’s nice, cook or bake.

What is your zombie outbreak survival plan?
I’d love to say I’d bust out some awesome ninja moves, but I’d probably stay locked indoors, away from windows, until the zombies decomposed to the point they were no longer a threat.  Fire seems to kill everything, if it comes to that.
I’m sure that with your Muay Thai hobby you could pull of some decent Cynthia Rothrock moves if the situation merited.
I can do a wicked chokehold too.





Weapon of choice:
My left hook.
I was in a band called The Incredible Left Hooks for a little while.  I think we were named after a different kind of left hook though.
Most likely!

Do you have any special skills?
I was once told my right cross could knock anyone out. I’ve also been called a “kitty whisperer.”
You whisper with kitties?
No, but if I walk into an animal shelter and call, “Who wants love?” they all come running. Some of them even jump on my back. I have pictures of this.
Well, who doesn’t want love?If you believe the stereotype, cats! But it’s not true. Most cats are extremely affectionate and devoted to their people.  If a cat isn’t loving, it has good reason.  Cats that were abused or mistreated don’t tend to forgive and forget.  They’re so much more intelligent than they’re given credit for.

Did you go to college and, if so, what for?
Yes. It was a multimedia program that taught journalism, advertising, and public relations, along with television and radio broadcasting.

If you went to college, did you manage to pay off your student loans?
No loans.  Paid for it up front with the help of my parents and grandmother.


Any pets?   If so, what are they and what are their names?
Yes, I have three cats: Samba, Chloe, and Sophie. A Ragdoll, a big, fluffy Angora, and a muted Calico.
Living in the great white north it’s probably convenient to have two foot-warmers and a spare.
Oddly enough, they use me for warmth and curl up in front of the heater and furnace vents as much as possible. I think they’ll be very happy when we move to the tropics.


What is your favorite animal?
That’s a tough one.  I love all animals so much.  Obviously I adore cats because I share my life with them, but I also have an affinity for pandas, red pandas, whales and dolphins, koalas, elephants, hippos, giraffes, seahorses, and all the big cats.  You see what I mean.
You’re the second interviewee in a row to mention pandas.  What is it with pandas?
Pandas are awesome! I got to cuddle one in China. That was a huge bucket-list item for me.

Speaking of pets, any pet peeves?
I’m allergic to cigarette smoke, so I really don’t like it when people light up near me.  And Internet trolls.  Misogynists and racists.


Favorite / Least favorite Food:
I love fresh black cherries, coconut, sushi and Vietnamese pho. I don’t care for onions, but if they’re hidden in something like chili or lasagna, that’s cool. Whoever decided to randomly add raw onions to various dishes in restaurants is my arch nemesis.

What is your favorite quotation / motto / saying?
Enjoy the journey.

What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
A company called African Portfolio sent me on the most amazing month-long safari in Zimbabwe and Zambia.  It was my greatest dream to go to Africa, and I’ll never forget it. I even got to take my best friend.  It was awesome.
This company was just giving away safaris?
No, I offered to write about their company in my capacity as a travel journalist, and they said yes. We just had to pay for our flights. Pretty awesome deal! It’s not that easy anymore.

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
An ex-boyfriend tried to kill me and broke my spine in two places when I was seventeen.  But I would say I’ve triumphed.
Well, you survived, so there’s that.  How did he try to kill you?
He saw me driving with a male friend, chased us through town in his mother’s station wagon, and slammed into the vehicle I was in seven times before we managed to flag down the police. Doctors told me I’d be in a wheelchair by age 23. Instead, I took up muay thai. Kickboxing strengthened the muscles that support my injured spine. I still have some issues from the accident, but the pain is nowhere near as bad as it once was.


Ever had your heart broken? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
Many times, but probably not unusual stories.  I once had my boyfriend of three years cheat on me, and I don’t know how I knew — I just blurted out the question.  I didn’t even know I was going to ask.  What made it crazy was that the woman he was unfaithful with ended up moving to Winnipeg and getting the job I’d been promised!  Talk about unbelievably bad luck.

Ever broken someone’s heart? Is there a story worth telling behind your answer?
Yes, but I don’t think so.  I hate hurting people.  Two of the guys I had to break up with are the nicest people, and I wish them nothing but good things.  There was nothing dramatic, though.

What is the best thing you’ve ever done?
One of my articles helped a blind man regain his sight. I don’t think I’ll ever top that.
How did your article help a blind man regain his sight?
It was an article about an incredible eye surgeon who’d helped another man with the same condition. The blind man realized that he could be helped, so he took my article to his doctor and got a referral. The surgeon was able to restore his sight, thankfully. Obviously most of the credit goes to the surgeon, and to my editor for assigning the story, but I was happy to be involved.
For the purposes of this interview I’m willing to give you partial credit.
Thanks!


What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?
Break someone’s heart.

If you could kill one person, consequence free, who would it be and why?
I wouldn’t kill anyone, but there are a few people out there who could use some bad karma!

What do you do?
I’m a full-time freelance journalist and writer.

How did you get started doing what you do?
My first job was at an indigenous paper, but I quit because of my abusive boss.  I was a new graduate, so I was terrified about being unemployed.  One of my college friends called.  She’d been offered a gig writing community news at the local paper, but she was too busy, so she’d recommended me.  The editor remembered me from my internship, so she hired me for the job and said these fateful words: “If you see a story suitable for the news section, let me know.”  I vowed to pitch her one story a week, and that was the start of my freelance career.

What is your advice to other people that want to get started doing what you do?
Be persistent, be reliable, and never work for free.  You have to hustle.  Be creative.


What are some of the projects you’ve worked on/finished in the past? Give us a little history if you will.
In addition to the book coming out with Samhain, I recently finished three novels.  One is a gothic-style horror called The Last Bit of Light, about a woman who flees her mundane life for an island paradise.  Problem is, her dream house is already inhabited…by the ghost of a slave who plans to use her for his ultimate revenge.  City of Ghosts is about a tourist who gets more than he bargained for when he schemes to stay overnight in one of China’s fabled ghost cities.  And The New Girl is a YA psychological horror/thriller that’s best described as Single White Female meets Mean Girls.
Finishing a novel is quite an accomplishment.  Finishing three novels must have been like participating in a triathlon.  Were you working on all three at the same time, alternating between books to keep it fresh, or did you just charge through all three one after the other?
I’ve written seven novels in total. I’ll start one and finish it before starting another, usually. I’m very big on finishing what I start. It’s almost an obsession with me.

What projects are you working on now?
A new twist on the sea-monster myth and a series of horror novels set in ancient Egypt.
Love myself some sea monsters.  I’ve got an Egypt/Mummy horror novel idea that I’ve been keeping on a shelf for when I have more time to give it the attention it deserves.
Ancient Egypt is such an interesting setting, and there are so many eras to choose from. But there’s so much research required! It never ends.



What are you watching?
When I have time, which is very rare, I watch American Horror Story.
I watched a couple episodes of that show, but couldn’t really get into it.  What’s the appeal of the show for you?
The writing and the characters (especially in the first season) are brilliant.  We’re watching season three now and can’t get into it the same way.  But I love that this show features strong parts for older women, heavy women, a woman with Down’s Syndrome, etc. They’ve greatly expanded society’s idea of what an actress should look like. Jessica Lange in particular is awesome! What a beautiful, talented woman.

What are you listening to?
This amazing local a cappella group called Those Guys. Their music is so much fun. You can find them on YouTube and iTunes. Also my friend’s wicked chill/lounge band, Ashes and Dreams.

What are you reading?
Gillian Flynn’s Sharp Objects.  An editor told me my writing reminded her of a “young Gillian Flynn,” so I was curious.  And I loved Gone Girl—what a disturbing, unpredictable book!
I love recommendations like that.  When I was a younger man, like, five different people recommended that I check out Charles Bukowski and it was love at first read.
Haven’t read Bukowski yet. I really should.
He’s the kind of author you’ll either love or hate.  You mentioned misogynists in your list of pet peeves and at first Bukowski might throw you, because he has a reputation for being a bit of a misogynist, but hang in there.  If you stick with it, he’ll bring you back around.  He was just an incredibly scarred man, both physically and emotionally who was a born romantic.  I recommend starting off with Ham On Rye for his novels, and You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense for his poetry.
Thanks for the tip!  I’ll check him out…but first, I have to finish the books in my to-read closet.  The situation is getting out of hand.

Favorite author / book?
Stephen King / Bag of Bones or Different Seasons.
What’s your favorite story from Different Seasons?
That’s easy. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. But Apt Pupil is by far the most disturbing.  Too bad they made such a terrible movie out of it.  I preferred Stand By Me to The Body—I think the movie has more heart. The only novella I didn’t like in that collection was The Breathing Method.
I don’t even remember The Breathing Method.
(Spoiler) It’s the one where a pregnant woman is in an accident right before she gets to the hospital to give birth. She’s decapitated, but her head does the Lamaze-style breathing so her body can still have the baby. It’s terrible. (Sorry, Steve, but it is.)
I’m sure he’ll just have to console himself by crying himself to sleep on that giant mattress stuffed with thousand dollars bills that he reputedly sleeps on.
Well, there is that.


Favorite band / song?
Barenaked Ladies before Steven Page left/Break Your Heart. Or Staind’s “Outside.” Or Metallica’s “The Unforgiven.”

Least favorite band / song?
Jon Lajoie / MC Vagina. It actually sends me into a murderous rage—just ask my boyfriend.
I checked it out.  It’s not great.  I think he’s trying to be ironic, but not really able to pull it off. 
Imagine a guy following you around, singing that to you off-key, and then you’ll understand the murderous rage aspect. Actually, the entire song is off-key, so that part probably didn’t make a difference.
Oh, I get the whole rage thing.  I was just trying to experience it objectively.  Let’s just say I didn’t download it onto my phone to play through my car stereo while driving around.
But why not? It’s so awesome.
I shared it with my room-mates.  Turns out one of them was a fan of that guy’s work.  Recognized the “artist” by name.  Thankfully he doesn’t really listen to a lot of music around the house and I have earbuds.
If I hadn’t just read your take on religion, I’d say “There is a god.” But, personally, if there is a god, I kind of hope it’s Thor. Or Morgan Freeman. He did a good job.


If you could do anything other than what you do now, what would you do?
I’d love to be a marine biologist, a forensic psychologist, or a travel photographer. Hire me, National Geographic!

Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met? You get three choices:
Alive. Dead. Fictional.
Stephen King. Martin Luther King Jr. Jo from Little Women.

What’s the best and worst job you’ve ever had?
Best job is what I’m doing now, but I had a lot of fun when I was the public relations manager at a haunted museum.
Worst would be floor walker at a retail store that never had any customers.  I didn’t last long at that one!  Convenience-store clerk was brutal too.
Kevin Smith makes being a convenience store clerk look so cool though.
Ah, but Clerks is fiction. It’s a lot more boring in real life. And hard on the back! They didn’t give us any breaks, since “the store isn’t busy all the time,” so we had to stand on the concrete floor all day. No sitting allowed. We did have some wicked penny-candy fights, though.
Was the museum really haunted?
Yes, the museum is really haunted, as much as the current administration would like people to think otherwise.  During a media tour, we heard someone coming up behind us in the dark. We even felt the floorboards move and heard them squeak. When we turned around, no one was there…at least no one we could see. On the recording, you can hear me and the reporter screaming. We sound practically out of our minds with fear. It’s pretty creepy. Lots of people who’ve worked there have experienced worse.
(And btw, I don’t think humans are the only creatures who linger.)

Are there any questions that I didn’t ask that you wished I had asked that you would like to answer now?
Anything about travel.  I love to talk about traveling.
Hey, I don’t mind talking about travel.  Feel free to digress.  It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.
Exactly. I think people get so focused on an “end goal,” be it a travel destination, or getting published, or retiring, that they forget to enjoy the stage they’re in. And life is the journey.

Anyone you recommend I interview that you can put me in touch with?
I think Kate Boorman would be interesting. Or Elle Rush, who writes romance. She’s good people, but I know tons of writers. If you’re looking for anything in particular, let me know.
Feel free to let them know I’m doing interviews if you know the people you suggested and they’re interested in doing an interview.
As for anything in particular, I think it would be cool to interview some of the people whose works I read, but H. P. Lovecraft doesn’t reply to my e-mails.
Ha! You may want to try someone who’s still alive and kicking. ;) I definitely know Elle and Kate. I’ll put the feelers out and let you know. 


Got any questions for me?
What made you start doing these interviews?
I was trying to get some press for a crowd-funded/crowd-sourced zombie book project I was working on, but nobody was replying to any of my inquiries, and I made a lot of inquiries.  I didn’t think it was fair that I couldn’t get anyone to do a story about my project, so I decided to start an interview blog where anyone could be interviewed about anything.  It’s not an author interview blog per se, but the interviews tend to run in themes and this month it’s authors.
Very cool! How did the project go? Did it work out?
Well, I made $500 up front from the campaign and a lot of authors were pissed.  They were all “Oh, and here I thought that you had to write the book first and then get paid.”  Hey, sorry, not sorry.  I thought it was a good idea at the time.  It was a good idea, and still is, although I regret making my first big imposition on all of my friends a crowd-sourcing campaign rather than trying to get them to buy a book.  I wrote two of the novellas that I was going to incorporate into an epic-length post-apocalyptic zombie epidemic book, and I figured that the sales and reviews from the first two books would keep the canoe floating downstream while I wrote the rest of the novellas and then went back and collated them into one giant book.  Each book would be a stand-alone introductory novella for a different character, then for the big book, I’d hire an editor to help me shuffle the stories so it reads like the first half of Stephen King’s The Stand and write the second half once I get the team together.  The sales for the novellas were dead, so that inspired me to put the project on hiatus and try to focus on writing some more remunerative writing/book projects.  I still owe novellas to nine contributors, and fully intend on getting around to writing them, but having the first two stillborn really kicked me in the inspiration.  I really like writing in that style and in that world, but with the popularity of The Walking Dead the whole genre of post-apocalyptic zombie epidemic fiction is over-crowded.  The real shame is that the first two novellas are really well-written and I think that they deserve more attention than they received, but my top-selling title is a torture porn title I wrote under a pen name.  I could give into what the market wants and write a couple more of those and use the money to supplement my income and buckle down on the post-apocalyptic zombie epidemic epic, but it just makes me feel filthy.  I wrote the worst book I could write and didn’t want to be associated with it, thus the pen name, and people were saying that it wasn’t sick enough.  So if I wanted to write more of them I’d have to lower the bar.  I know I have it in me, but it’s not a comfortable place/mindstate to be in, so I’ve been procrastinating by working on other projects.  But that torture porn paycheck is always hanging in the air out there just waiting for me to sell out and claim it.
Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing it with me. I’ve often looked at those Kickstarter campaigns and wondered whether or not it was something I should consider. I’ve been shocked by how harsh people are, especially writers, when a writing one is successful. Shouldn’t we be supporting one another? Have you seen the reaction to the Exploding Kittens Kickstarter? Wow. Sour grapes much? If you don’t like it, don’t fund it. I’m sorry the disappointing sales put the project on hiatus for you, but I completely understand. It sounds like a fantastic project, though. I hope something renews your interest in it. As for the torture porn, I’ve had to draw lines in the sand quite a bit for journalism—what I won’t do even if I need the money. It can be tough sometimes, but it sounds like the way it makes you feel to write and publish that stuff just isn’t worth it. It’s unbelievable what people will read! The last couple I was snickering over was a book titled something like, “My Dinosaur Boss Turned Me Gay,” and another was about a woman who has sex with a haunted HDI cable, of all things. Okay….
That’s the beauty and tragedy of the self-publishing boom.  Anyone can publish anything.  It leveled the playing field and muddied the waters at the same time.  Now aspiring authors don’t have to court a publisher and run the editor’s gauntlet before putting their book out.  The tragedy is that a fair amount of those books could use some judicious editing, but good editors are hard to find too.  I’ve read enough that I know what a book should look like and I’m fairly proud of the books I’ve put out.  I know that a lot of older, more established authors bewail the state of publishing these days, but the old rules still apply.  Money talks.  If a book is unreadable, word gets around that the emperor is under-dressed.  A good book will find its audience and sell a few copies.  It might not find its audience while the author is still alive, but that’s the same problem that authors have been dealing with since cuneiform and clay tablets.
Sad but true.


What do you like to read?
Lately I’ve been doing a lot more writing than reading.  I’ve read thousands of books and reviewed books for about ten years.  I’d find an author that I like and read their bibliography, then move on to another author.  When I read, I like to read a lot of things, but among the authors whose work I can always just pick up and read are: Charles Bukowski, Henry Rollins, Chuck Palahniuk (up till Choke), T.S. Eliot, and Charles Baudelaire.

Are you a writer as well?
I am, actually, thanks for asking!  It’s not really the time or place to pitch my work, but I’ve written a few books and I run a publishing imprint or two.  I’m not setting the world on fire, but there’s enough interest to keep my little corner of the world warm.
That sounds awesome! It’s hard to keep so many things going at once—good for you! Everyone has to find his niche, I think.
I’ve got a few fans, but I’m waiting for that big break where more people that I don’t know start reading my work and spreading it through word of mouth.  I’ve only been doing the whole writing/publishing thing seriously for a little over a year, so I don’t have any reason to complain.  But in the past year or so I’ve put out fifteen books.  When I was starting, I said that if I didn’t catch on and make enough to quit my wage slave job in the first year I’d pack it in, but I haven’t written everything I wanted to write yet.  I figure I’ve got another ten or fifteen book projects on deck worth writing and if I can’t catch on after those are up and out I’m just going to give up on the dream of supporting myself with my writing and leave the books out there for anyone that wants to read them and let the residual royalties trickle in.
Fifteen books in a year!!! That’s crazy! How did you manage that? And here I thought my seven was impressive. :D I’m waiting and hoping for the same thing, but I’m never satisfied. Someone I don’t know will become a blog follower, and I’ll get all excited, but then they’ll turn into a friend… a friend I’d never have met if not for my writing, and I’ll be back to, “No one but my friends read my blog.” I know this is trite, and easier said than done, but NEVER give up. Never, never, never! And feel free to tell me the same thing when I get fatalistic, which happens from time to time. What’s your wage-slave job?
It is crazy.  I know that.  I’m kind of crazy.  I always put more into whatever I’m working on than anyone else I know.  When I bunker in to write, I call it “going into the tunnel”.  I get enough supplies to last me a few days and I restrict my internet use to using Google to look stuff up for the book and check the spelling on words that I know are words but Microsoft Word makes me second guess myself on because I have a better vocabulary than it does.  When I’m in the tunnel, I write about 8,000 to 10,000 words a day, pass out when I can’t keep my eyes open any longer, and wake up and do the same thing until I’m done.  If the zombie novellas took off and the royalties were enough for me to live on, that’s what I wanted to do.  Wake up, write, go to sleep, and figure out how to get coffee and cigarettes delivered.  Since I write about 10K a day, I can write a novel a week if life doesn’t conspire against me.  So, ideally, I’d write a novel a week until I ran out of ideas, but I haven’t run out of ideas yet.  Twelve of the books were anthologies, but I usually let myself have a story in each one as a little kickback for putting them together.  But I still wrote three novel-length books last year, in addition to moderating and publishing twelve anthologies, so that has to count for something.  As for my wage slave job, I work as a security officer part-time and at a group home for autistic kids full-time in addition to doing all of the other things that I do.  But I’ve had over fifty jobs, and wrote a book about them if you’re interested.  I can send you a paperback to add to your stack of books to be read. [
http://www.amazon.com/Wage-Slave-Sean-Douglas/dp/1500683450/]
Sure! Sounds interesting.  And I admire your work ethic.  I like to think I work hard, but I get distracted by too many things and have too many obsessions. When I had a day job, I gave it my all (except for the floor-walker one), so writing fiction unfortunately took a backseat. Still struggling to change that, but it’s way better that it used to be.
And who on earth is in charge of Word’s grammar and spelling police? They need to try something new, like floor-walking for shoplifters in an empty store. That would be a better use of their abilities.


Feel free to add me on Facebook if you’d like to keep in touch. Writers have to look out for each other. It’s tough out there.
I sent a friend request to an account that I think is yours, so we’ll see how that goes.


Thanks for letting me subject you to being interviewed!
It’s been fun. I hope I’ve given you something you can use. (This is where you say yes, I was fabulous.) ;)
Yes, you were rabulous.  I meant to type “fabulous” but I slipped and hit the “r” so let’s just go with rabulous.

Pitch parade:
Give me all of your links for things you want to promote.   All of them.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jhmoncrieff
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JH_Moncrieff
Website: http://www.jhmoncrieff.com
Blog: http://www.jhmoncrieff.com/blog/
I’d love if you’d pimp my novel trailer, which is pretty awesome. I can say that because I didn’t make it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7CvUvqHdM




About the Interviewee:
Raised in the far north, amid Jack London’s world of dog sleds and dark winters, J.H. Moncrieff has been a professional writer all of her adult life.
During her years as a journalist, she’s tracked down snipers and canoed through crocodile-infested waters. She has published hundreds of articles in national and international magazines and newspapers.
When she’s not writing, J.H. loves to travel to exotic locations, advocate for animal rights, and muay thai kickbox.  J.H. loves to hear from readers and fellow writers. Connect with her on Facebook or Twitter, or shoot her an email at jh (at) jhmoncrieff (dot) com. You can find her on the web at www.jhmoncrieff.com.


About the Interviewer:
Scott Lefebvre can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island, and Condemned; and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
Check out his publishing imprint Burnt Offerings Books here:
http://burntofferingsbooks.blogspot.com/
Check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
Check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/shop/ScottLefebvreArt
Stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
E-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment