Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview with Jesse Segebartt.


Full Name:

Jesse James Segebartt
That's pretty rad your parents hooked you up with "Jesse James" for your first two names.
My father is a nomad biker. My understanding is that he chose the name.

Do you have a nickname or what do your friends call you?
Depending on who and when, I have gone by both Papa Sunshine and Hobo.

Birthplace / Current hometown:
Tucson, Arizona

Favorite city and why?
Boston.  As a teenager, I spent a couple weeks visiting friends in a suburb called Mattapan.  I saw boston pops and wound up staring at a cop car for three hours while on low grade acid.  It was drizzling and the droplets just above the car were turning both pastel red and pastel blue in rapid succession.  There was also a drum circle with a ex-green-peace-hippy majority on quality acid, which was pretty awesome

Birthday / Age:
12-29-89 / 24

How would you describe yourself physically?

In the Homo Lexicon, I am in the otter sub-category of bears in way of appearance.

How would someone else describe you physically?
Furry Long-Har.

The first thing people notice about you is…
The overwelming scent of cigarette smoke.

Religion, if any?
Meh.

Are you superstitious at all?  Any phobias?
Nope.

Do you smoke / drink?
Smoke yes.  Drink no.  My probation officer would have my ass if I were to drink.

If so, what?
Non-filtered Crowns.

Any bad habits?
Too much smoke, too much caffeine, under eating, and under sleeping.

Current occupation / Dream job:
Well, currently I have three, soon to be four.  I work as a pizza cook, a server, a barback, and soon I'll also be bar security.  I would really like to be a high end prostitute.

What do you like to do when you’re not at work?

I paint, read, practice my instruments, hit up the local thrift shops, and catch up with friends.

What is your zombie outbreak survival plan?
To get utterly smashed.  I'm going to be up against both zombies and a horde of Walking dead fanship.  I'll pimp out a box car and wait for the inevitable death dealt by a preteen with a crossbow.

Weapon of choice:
No weapon. Just resignation and booze.

Did you go to college and, if so, what for?

I am halfway between certifications in both small business management and automotive tech.
So your goal is to own your own garage?
I don't have any real set in stone goals in way of occupation.  I'm just chronically indecisive.  I am considering welding next.
Sounds like an excellent compliment to your skill set.

If you went to college, did you manage to pay off your student loans?
I went the cheapo community college route. Never took loans.

Any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?
I don't, but my girlfriend has a cat named Reena.  And I despise it.

What is your favorite animal?

Golden retriever

Speaking of pets, any pet peeves?
People that think a felony conviction defines a person.  Also, racists, and bible quotes used as advice.

Favorite / Least favorite Food:

Mutton / vegan imitation meats.
I used to be in love with a vegetarian, which pretty much made me a vegetarian too.  The irony was, she loved buying fake meat to replace in recipes.  Fake burger crumbles don't make for bad tacos, but fake bacon never even comes close to tasting like real bacon.  I lost the girl, but at least I get to eat bacon.
My girlfriend gravitates from vegan to vegetarian, to fish and chicken.  To me fake meat for vegetarians is on par with strap-on submissive for straight men.
My ex did make me her dietary sub for a while there.

What is your favorite quotation / motto / saying?
Cogito Ergo Sum

What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
I spent a couple months train hopping with friends a few years back.  They were the best months of my life.
That sounds like it would be an awesome story to write up into a book.  If you kept a journal and you want to develop it into a book let me know.
Journaling in prison is often frowned upon.  Too many crimes and too much heroin floating around.  I can never really fathom anyone having done time wanting to write a book about it.  Imagine YEARS spent in predominant boredom with sprinklings of extreme violence.  Makes for good poetry....and spotty non-fiction.
I meant the whole "train hopping with friends" part.  I think Jack Abbot kind of cornered the prison book market with In the Belly of the Beast.
The highlight of the trip was shitting in an abandoned circle k outside of ABQ.  You know those circular holes in the counters from hot dog wrappers?  I also shat off of a moving train, in an unlocked uhaul and the roof of a building.  That, or shaving my face in China Town L.A. right as school let out. A swarm of asian middle schoolers looked in horror at the grubby man taking a bird bath in the library sink.  A little boy actually cried.
 

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
It isn't so much what happened to me, but what happened to someone else as a result of my actions. I killed a bicyclist in 2009 in an automobile accident,
He was a kids soccer coach and all around good dude.  In a newspaper interview, his brother said that he didn't wish for a large sentence.  In fact, it read as though he was sympathetic to me.  I think his understanding is what gave me a four year prison and a five year probation sentence instead of the thirty-four years that could have been given.
As long as you weren't drunk when it happened, everyone involved should have chalked it up to fate.  Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

If you could kill one person, who would it be, and why?
I wouldn't

What do you do?

I paint.



How did you get started doing what you do?
When I first got out of prison, I had a lot of time on my hands.  I took to painting as a pastime.

What is your advice to other people that want to get started doing what you do?
Start cheap. Paint and canvas can be very expensive.  There's nothing worse than finishing a work, feeling disappointed, and being out a hundred dollars.
That's good advice.  I went in pretty deep when I decided to try to make a living with my art a couple years ago.  I went about a hundred dollars out of pocket on mounted canvas. 
I managed to make my money back, and have turned a small profit over time.  But I've also found that you can use a lot of other materials.  My friend had a huge roll of thick brown contractor paper he found in his basement and he gave it to me to turn into paintings.  I've been using it to make large scale paintings with some success.  I also primed some sheets out of a pad of newsprint I had left over from when I used to do batches of H. P. Lovecraft grave-rubbings and I plan on doing a series of one-off Universal Monster paintings.  Maybe offer then up for prints.  I have a couple projects I need to finish and get off of my plate first, but I've always got something lined up to work on next.  Too many ideas, too little time.

Yeah, the do-to list grows while the mid-doing seems to sit a lot of the time.

What are some of the projects you’ve worked on/finished in the past?

On occasion I work on canvas or canvas board but it's seldom.  More regularly, I paint on vinyl records.


What projects are you working on now?
Currently, I am altering several passed paintings to be hole punched and bound with wire to make a large semi-humanoid head.

What are you watching?
Netflix

What are you listening to?
Xiia radio 91.3 KXCI

What are you reading?
Disinformation

Favorite author / book?
HST / Hell's Angels

Favorite band / song?
Iron & Wine/ Jezebel

Least favorite band / song?
Most popular radio play.

If you could do anything other than what you do now, what would you do?

Better hone my guitar/uke/dulcimer/harmonica skizzles and do coffee shop concerts.

Who would you want to meet that you haven’t met?
You get three choices: Alive. Dead. Fictional.
Alive: Pete Seeger
Dead: Woody Guthrie
Fictional: Scooby Doo

What’s the best and worst job you’ve ever had?

Best: Industrial Apprentice Electrician
Worst:Pizza Cook

Anyone you recommend I interview that you can put me in touch with?

Lela Shatto via Mariah Tenor

Thanks for letting me subject you to being interviewed!


Pitch parade:
Give me all of your links for things you want to promote.   All of them.
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/ThothSunshine
E-mail:  ThothSunshine@gmail.com

About the Interviewee:
Jesse Segebartt is a hobo stranded in Tucson due to legal restrictions. He has been coerced into becoming a contributing member of society.
In his spare time, he paints and shit.


About the Interviewer:
Scott Lefebvre can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island, and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
He is currently working on ten novel-length book projects which will be released in 2014.
He also publishes themed collections of interviews from his interview blog You Are Entitled To My Opinion.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
He is the Assistant Program Director for The Arkham Film Society and produces electronic music under the names Master Control and LOVECRAFTWORK.
He is currently working on a novel-length expansion of a short-story titled, "The End Of The World Is Nigh", a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, post-apocalyptic, zombie epidemic project.
Check out the blog for the book here: theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com
Check out the Facebook Fan Page for the project here: www.facebook.com/TheEndOfTheWorldIsNighBook
Check his author profile at: www.amazon.com/Scott-Lefebvre/e/B001TQ2W9G
Follow him at GoodReads here:
www.goodreads.com/author/show/1617246.Scott_Lefebvre
Check out his publishing imprint Burnt Offerings Books here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burnt-Offerings-Books/1408858196016246
And here: http://burntofferingsbooks.blogspot.com/
Check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
Check out his videos at: www.youtube.com/user/doctornapoleon
Check out his IMDB profile here: www.imdb.com/name/nm3678959
Follow his Twitter here: twitter.com/TheLefebvre or @TheLefebvre
Follow his Tumblr here: thelefebvre.tumblr.com
Check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/shop/ScottLefebvreArt
Join the group for The Arkham Film Society here:
www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamscreenings
Stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
E-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment